Overview of the role
The principle role of the Account Manager is to work within one of our client communications teams managing the delivery of high calibre, multi-channel communications solutions for our blue-chip client base, including annual reports and reviews, sustainability reports, investor relations and employee communications, online reporting centres, website maintenance and social media campaigns.
The role will require you to engage with senior stakeholders and provide you with the opportunity to develop an intimate understanding of your client’s strategy and business model as well as a deep understanding of best practice and market trends in financial and non-financial reporting. In time you will have the opportunity to work with our increasing overseas client base and we will also provide you with the opportunities and platform to develop your career within this growing and highly ambitious organisation.
The role is well suited for a highly motivated and ambitious individual with excellent academics, a curious and innovative mind, and a desire to learn about best practice corporate communications. The successful candidate must be comfortable communicating with clients and internal teams, have a keen eye for detail, strong communication and interpersonal skills, creative flair and want to participate in building one of the largest and most successful professional service companies of its kind.
As an Account Manager your core responsibilities will be to successfully manage the delivery of mixed-media projects, providing exemplary client services at all times as well as contributing to the delivery of internal projects across the business. You will also be in charge of your own development, using the tools and resources available, to gain an in-depth understanding of your clients businesses as well as market trends in best practice corporate communications.
- Successfully manage the delivery of assigned mixed-media projects, taking responsibility for driving and preparing detailed project schedules, driving all deliverables and managing internal and external resources to ensure that all project deadlines are met;
- Develop an intrinsic understanding of your clients business model and strategy and work closely with your team leader, Creative Director and the Insight team to learn how to develop key messages and wider content for communications;
- Effectively manage each project stage from working with internal teams on the development of creative concepts through to managing the turnaround process, ensuring that all amends (including client and proof-readers) are accurately implemented to ensure an error free delivery of projects;
- Accurately prepare all project documentation including communications brief, page plans, internal briefs, photography briefs, meeting agenda’s, contact reports (key actions & deliverables) and status reports;
- Successfully liaise and co-ordinate with suppliers (including printers and photographers), completing the briefing process and ensuring that all work meets Black Sun’s quality standards;
- Demonstrate real strength in identifying and managing account and project problems independently and provide effective solutions to address them; and
- Continually develop your knowledge and understanding of the print production and digital process to enable you to take remedial action where necessary and successfully deliver projects.
Client relationship management
- Proactively build strong client relationships with your day-to-day client contacts, attend, and where necessary, lead client meetings and conference calls; and
- Deliver exemplary client services at all times helping to ensure we maintain the current high levels of client satisfaction and continually seeking ways to exceed our clients’ expectations.
- Work closely with your team leader to develop your commercial awareness of Black Sun’s job costing and fee structures;
- Effectively manage project budgets by implementing all of Black Sun’s quality assurance and financial processes including creating budget proposals, completing regular reconciliations, raising and issuing purchase orders for external costs prior to services commencing and completing accurate timesheets; and
- Where necessary, work with your team leader to develop strategies for managing overrun costs from clients.
New business and client development
- Work closely with your Client Director to successfully identify new business opportunities from your existing clients, writing client proposals and effectively presenting concepts and delivery presentations to your clients;
- Work closely with your team leader to conduct audits of your projects to highlight opportunities to enhance deliverables and provide additional services;
- Support the new business process by assisting with the delivery of new business proposals through conducting research, producing budget proposals, helping to manage the internal process and supporting your team leader with writing presentation documents.
Research and strategic development
- Support internal teams with Black Sun’s research into best practice corporate communications by conducting research and providing insights which will support the development of Black Sun’s market-leading publications;
- Continually drive your understanding of our clients’ businesses, the industries they operate in, and trends in best practice corporate communications; and
- Continually develop your knowledge and views on key market insights and to share your knowledge with your team and the wider business.
Reporting to: Client Director
Work closely with: The wider Client Account team as well as the Digital, Insight and Finance teams.
Qualifications, experience & skills:
The successful candidate will hold or have experience in/ with:
- A minimum of 2:1 degree, preferably in economics, marketing and communications, business or languages;
- 2-3 years agency or client-side experience within marketing and communications;
- Experience in corporate reporting is preferred;
- Excellent writing, editing, proof reading skills are essential;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills are essential;
- Exceptional attention to detail; and
- Be fully conversant with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Your personal qualities:
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills necessary to build trust and respect both externally and internally;
- High-quality service ethic and committed to customer service excellence;
- Ambition to self improve;
- Ability to manage many urgent and often conflicting priorities;
- Strong ‘can do’ attitude with an innate ability to take initiative and work by yourself as well as in a team;
- Flexibility and team focussed, non-hierarchical approach with a ‘roll up your sleeves’ attitude to getting
the job done; and
- A great sense of humour and fun!
In addition to a competitive salary based on skills and experience, as an employee at Black Sun, you will have access to a range of great benefits and perks, including:
Upon joining, you’ll be eligible for 25 days’ holiday per year (pro-rated if you join mid-year). An additional ‘bonus’ day is awarded for each year worked at Black Sun, up to a maximum of 2 extra days after 3 years.
We operate an annual bonus scheme for all our employees to enable everyone to share in our success when the company achieves its financial targets.
Personal Development Plans
We believe that the more successful we are in developing our people, the more rewarding and successful our business will become. As an employee at Black Sun, you’ll have access to an extensive suite of training through our ‘Full Circle Talent Development Programme’ to help you develop the skills to progress your career and be successful in your role.
Group Life Assurance
On joining Black Sun you will be insured under our Group Life Assurance Scheme.
Group Personal Pension Plan
After three months’ at Black Sun, you will be enrolled on the Company’s group personal pension scheme. The Company will contribute 3% of salary to the pension scheme and you will need to contribute a minimum of 5%.
Employee Assistance Programme
You and your family will have access to a confidential 24/7 helpline, providing you with a range of services including counselling, financial/debt management, family and childcare advice.
Black Sun operates a Payroll Giving scheme which enables you to donate through your payroll to any charity or voluntary organisation within the UK. The donation is made from your gross pay, enabling the charity to benefit from Gift Aid.
And whilst we love our jobs, we also like to have some fun along the way. We have a continuous social programme throughout the year, either virtually or in person! But don’t take our word for it, come and see for yourself!