This role is the ultimate learning opportunity for a newly qualified financial accountant looking to learn all aspects of the finance function and how to run a business. This will be a fantastic opportunity to enhance your repertoire of technical and management skills required to develop along your career path to becoming a future commercial leader. The role will support the head of finance who is ultimately responsible for all the financial and management reporting.
The business is currently experiencing strong growth because of some important strategic decisions that will provide the opportunity for you to develop skills around
The measure of success in the role will be the accuracy and timeliness of month end outputs driven through a team which includes an assistant management accountant, a finance operations manager and finance assistant supporting you.
This is a role for a structured thinker, who can deliver a high quality of work whilst working to tight deadlines and communicate confidently. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated, energetic individual who is keen to meet the challenges of contributing to a dynamic, highly entrepreneurial environment that has ambitions to develop into a financial controller and ultimately a CFO.
By joining us you will be working on a hybrid model and have a wonderful opportunity to explore our picturesque offices in Bishops Park, Putney bridge.
Come join Black Sun
Across the globe, there is a powerful movement demanding that business focus on purpose, sustainability, and wider value creation. It has never been more important for business to build and maintain trust with their key audiences.
And that’s where we come in! We are a new company for this new world – a partner to some of the biggest brands and businesses worldwide – helping them to engage with these audiences, build enduring relationships and spark positive change through inspiring communications.
As our world rapidly changes, our focus remains constant. At heart we are storytellers, we define articulate and shape the value creation story, bringing it to life across different channels and communications formats. Our team is made up of over 130 talented specialists working across the UK, Europe, and Asia – analytical thinkers, renaissance creatives, digital mavericks and inspiring change makers!
We win many awards and recognition for our work – but great work doesn’t happen by magic – join Black Sun and you will become part of an amazing, diverse, and inclusive community – a team of passionate and skilful people who will expand your horizon, energise your talents and ignite that spark of magic within you.
Beyond what you would expect; a competitive salary, great benefits and hybrid working – we will support you in developing the skills and expertise to fast track your career. You will have the opportunity to make a difference every day, shaping the future of communications and creating positive change – and most importantly, to have fun along the way.
Management and Financial Reporting
– Accurately prepare the monthly management accounts and business unit P&L’s commentary for smaller entities within the group for review by the Head of finance in a timely manner
– Support the head of finance in the larger operating entities forecasting and reporting requirements
– With the assistant of the financial modeller at times, deliver elements of the budget models and keep them up to date.
– Owning the output of our continuous forecasting process (profit and loss and cash flow) by understanding and reviewing the day-to-day updates done by the assistant management accountant.
– Escalating any discrepancies to forecast and monitoring the billing cycles of projects
– Rigorously review all month end reconciliations which are prepared by the Finance Assistant and investigate and resolve any discrepancies to ensure complete accuracy and raise any issues with the head of finance / CFO promptly
– Be responsible for reviewing the Company fixed asset register and prepayments schedule regularly to ensure that it is accurately maintained
– Managing a credit control process that ensures a weekly escalation of client invoices not paid against expectation
– To understand and review the weekly Job Costing and Timesheet reports, escalating issues requiring intervention by the head of finance / CFO and wider Management team
– To assist the head of finance with the preparation of the audit file with a coherent view of the profit number after adjustments for Work in Progress at the financial year end and manage the audit through to the final Trial balance used by the auditors to draft the Consolidated financial statements, escalating where necessary
– To assist the head of finance with the preparation of information where external service providers or consultants are engaged by the finance team.
– To have responsibility for ensuring that work delivered to clients is billed as per the signed contracts by the finance operations manager
– To have responsibility for ensuring all invoices received from suppliers and freelancers are recorded as per company authorisation policy and paid timeously in pay runs prepared by the finance assistant
– To review the payment run on a weekly basis, investigating any issues or disputed invoices with the Finance Assistant and escalating any concerns to the head of finance as appropriate
– To monitor the Aged Debtors and Creditors with the Finance team and proactively follow up on outstanding debts and any queries raised ensuring all issues are resolved. This will include reconciliations between the subledgers and GL which will be owned by the accounts payable manager.
– To have responsibility for ensuring the process results in all costs being recorded in the correct clients’ jobs and business units, matching the revenue derived from such cost and sharing “business unit” P&Ls with their respective owners and reviewing all work completed by the finance assistant
– To review all key supplier statements on a monthly basis ensuring all accounts are reconciled and that any discrepancies are followed up and resolved
– Prepare the monthly billing list for the Stakeholder Comms and Digital teams, to manage any changes and to assist the Finance Assistant with the billing when required
Payroll and Regulatory Reporting
– To support the head of finance with some of the statutory returns where required specifically P11Ds, P11D(b) and PSA
– Owning and monitoring the submission of the annual R&D claim
– In conjunction with the Head of finance & Finance Operations manager identify Finance system training requirements for all new joiners and include in the learning and development training cycle administered by our talent team. As weaknesses are identified within current staff, brief the CFO of updated requirements and work with CFO to deliver any new training required.
– Ensure that all financial controls are in place across the company so to eliminate financial risk and loss
– Alongside the CFO, deliver the “vision” for the commercial team
– Support the CFO in the transition of the business to making more informed commercial decisions
– Support the Head of Finance in delivering management reporting outputs by developing a relationship with the finance operations team manager and working collaboratively to support each other’s goals and output.
Qualifications and experience
– An ambitious, commercially minded person, who is probably looking for their second post qualified (ACA) role and has experience working in, or working with, a small/medium-sized company
– Academically strong with experience of working in an ambitious, entrepreneurial and dynamic environments, ideally within the Professional Services or Marcomms sectors
– Good GCSEs and A Level grades (or equivalent), particularly in Maths and English
– Good numerical skills essential
– Highly proficient with MS Excel, including possessing a complete understanding of its core functions and capabilities
The Reporting Finance Manager will be a highly motivated individual who can quickly take responsibility for delivering high quality, best in class reporting solutions and ensuring the accurate, error-free recording of all finance transactions. This position requires:
– Strong interpersonal and communications skills necessary to build trust and respect both within the Finance team and the wider business at all levels
– A versatile personality with good problem-solving skills and an eye for detail combined with sound numerical and presentation skills
– Energetic and keen to contribute to a dynamic, highly entrepreneurial environment that is constantly changing and assessing opportunities
– Flexible and ‘team focused’ with a ‘roll up your sleeves’ attitude to getting the job done
– Strong ‘can do’ attitude motivated by a desire to be part of the solution, rather than part of the problem
– Ability to manage many urgent and often, conflicting priorities
– Ability to manage, develop and evolve and adhere to clear processes and procedures
– Ambitious for work quality and a commitment to excellence
– Great sense of humour essential!
Phone screening with talent acquisition manager
1st Interview (teams) with hiring managers
2nd interview (f2f) with CFO (and CEO tbc)
In addition to a competitive salary based on skills and experience, as an employee at Black Sun, you will have access to a range of great benefits and perks, including:
25 days holiday per year with ‘bonus’ days for long service
Personal development opportunities
Group life assurance
Group personal pension plan
Employee assistance programme
Over the last 24 months, the way in which we work has changed. We surveyed and engaged with our staff to learn about what Black Sun’s future of work looks like, and thanks to everyone’s positive engagement and feedback, we developed a hybrid way of working, governed by three fundamental principles: Colleague, Client, and Culture. This means that however you decide to deliver work, you should protect all these 3 C’s. After a period of onboarding, employees can work from home, office and, where applicable, on-site with clients. The number of days is dependent on teams, role, time of year and deliverables.
Here at Black Sun we pride ourselves on being committed to offering equal opportunities to all potential employees and have zero tolerance for discrimination. We foster a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best work and be relevant in a rapidly changing world
Your application was submitted successfully.